At St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, we acknowledge and understand that Child Safety is the responsibility of every person within our school and is an integral aspect of student wellbeing. We aim to work collaboratively with parents, students and other community members to ensure our school is a safe environment.
Our commitment to the protection of students is based on our belief that each person is made in the image of God, and our ethos is to provide a safe and supportive environment. All students have the right to expect that our school will always act to protect them from any kind of harm.
A child’s right to be safe is fundamental to our work at St Mary’s. It is crucial that each child is protected against physical and sexual abuse, and neglect. The following school policies outline our commitment to ensure that the emotional, moral, spiritual and physical wellbeing and safety of our students is pivotal.
When teachers form a belief that a child may be at risk of harm due to sexual abuse or physical injury that results from abuse or neglect, they have a legal responsibility to notify the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing. St Mary’s adheres to the 7 Child Safe Standards, as set out by the Ministerial Order 870.
CHILD SAFETY STANDARDS
- Standard 1: Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
- Standard 2: A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
- Standard 3: A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
- Standard 4: Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
- Standard 5: Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Standard 6: Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
- Standard 7: Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
For more information regarding the standards, please click the link below.
If you require any more information or clarification on the above policies and standards please contact our School Child Safety Officer – Gemma McWhirter (email@example.com) or our School Principal Brett Morris (firstname.lastname@example.org).